The Glade Council
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Glade Council

Lord of the Rings Online, Laurelin Kinship

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inGallery

Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Palantirr
Elder of the Council
Palantirr

Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) Empty
PostSubject: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 6:02 am

This is the story I said I'd tell you to explain my disappearance from TGC... I hope you like it and that you'd be able to use it to plan RP-events.
Golradir's Quest

Chapter 1: Foreword
"O Golradir, Warden of the White Tower, ye have tarried long and have left your Captain alone in the face of huge perils. Ye must seek him and protect him if the Race of Men is to persist."
Golradir sprang awake, his face wet with sweat and his hands shaking. Thunder rumbled outside and rain lashed the windows of his room at the Prancing Pony. It must have been near dawn, for he retired to his room quite late after celebrating a very successful raid with the Glade Council on the Great Barrows.
"My head!" Golradir hissed, pressing his hand to his forehead. He made a promise to himself not to drink too much Shire Ale, especially if he was celebrating together with dwarves!
However, the celebration at the Pony was justifiable; the Free People of Bree toasted to the name of the Glade Council all night long, after retunring with the head of the notorious undead lord Samborg and his axe, which Golradir kept as a trophy. People were drinking, feasting and dancing everywhere, and especially at the Prancing Pony, which the Glade Council made his base of operations during their continuous exploits in the entire Barrow Downs.

"Damn you, Mikel. You're a disgrace to the Wardens," Golradir cursed with irritation. Only recently had he learned of the danger awaiting his Captain, Boromir son of Denethor and High Warden of the White Tower, who is on his way to the Council of the Elven lord Elrond at the Elven haven of Imladris.
"And damn you too, Mithrandir," he added. Golradir respected the mighty wizard, but as his Captain, he never liked facing his enemies only with sorcery.

It all started on that fateful day in the capital of Gondor, Minas Tirith, the White City. Boromir was summoned by Gandalf the Grey in a vision to the Council of Elrond. Boromir chose four of his most trusted guards, the Wardens of the White Tower, to accompany him on his journey. Mikel was a young, lazy and sulky lad recently promoted into a Warden - a title attained by only veteran soldiers of Gondor who proved their loyalty to Gondor over many battles against the shadowspawn of Mordor.
Mikel, however, literally begged Boromir to be taken on this journey. Every Warden in the city was against it, but Boromir wanted to give the boy a chance to do something useful. "He did become Warden younger than you, Golradir," Boromir said, smiling. Golradir smiled as well, but deep down inside of him, he knew Mikel would bring only problems to the traveling Company.
Contrary to his belief, Mikel proved to be an excellent soldier, always thinking ahead of the enemy and anticipating many traps and ambush spots in which orcs lurked to attack Boromir and his Wardens. His scouting skill was almost as good as that of an Elf, and his sword-fighting was that of a Gondorian veteran that had seen dozens of skirmishes. Boromir was taken by Mikel's talents and kept him always at his side.

When the time came for Boromir to take his own path to Imladris, he bid everyone farewell except for Mikel, whom he asked to accompany a bit further on the way. Golradir felt jealousy and something else, but his discipline took over his emotions and he went to carry out the orders of his Captain.
On the first night, the four Wardens camped together at a crossroad, and discussed the sudden explosion of skills in Mikel. It was no secret among the Wardens of the White Tower that Mikel's promotion was because his father, a former Warden, had sacrificed his life to save the Steward of Gondor, Denethor II and father of Boromir, from an orc-ambush. Mikel was the eldest son and the only supporter of a large family that couldn't survive on a wage lower than that of a Warden.

As a soldier, Mikel was horrible. As a Warden, Mikel was a disaster waiting to strike! He was not able to understand tactical theories, he failed five times consecutively in his swordsmanship test and could only read basic Elven texts. He was a disgrace to the Wardens, and the only task he was given was to guard the never-before-lit beacon of Minas Tirith. Boromir always showed compassion toward him, but never did he take him outside of the city on one of his raids.

The Wardens discussed that, and Golradir reached to a conclusion that Mikel was either training secretly or that he was not what he was pretending to be. "This must have a reason. Why act the fool so long and now, away from everyone else, you show your full capability? Something smells foul about that lad, my friends!" Golradir announced.
"It's too late, however, to investigate. We can only hope the lad's intentions are good. Otherwise, I don't think Captain Boromir would be easily taken by surprise," said Tamsen, one of the Wardens.
"I have good friends living near the Misty Mountains and scout for the people there in search of game or orc raiders. I can go to them and track Mikel and see what he's up to," suggested Jem, the second Warden.
"Agreed. If you know anything, let me know. I'll be heading to Bree to see if the people there need help with the fight against the Shadow. Please be swift in your news," said Golradir.

In the morning, everyone saddled their horse, bid each other farewell and headed on different paths. It lasted several months before Golradir received word of Jem, informing him that Boromir and Mikel passed through a village several weeks ago on their way to the High Pass in the Misty Mountains. Only two weeks ago did Golradir received the grim news: Mikel wanders around the High Pass on top of a company of orcs. They seem to be waiting for someone to come through.

Golradir opened his chest in the room and read the carefully folded letter again. There was no doubt about it, and Jem was not a fool. Mikel has betryed the White Tower and is working for the enemy. Needless to say that his target would definitely be Captain Boromir. The only question was why did Mikel wait for Boromir to return from Imladris? Wouldn't it have been easier to kill him with the help of the orcs alone?
"Only answer would be that he's waiting for Boromir to bring someone or something back from Imladris, so he can either take it or kill him," Golradir thought grimly.

It has to be done! and Gandalf's vision confirmed his suspicions... he must rally his comrades and attempt to stop Mikel and the orcs before Boromir's return from Imladris. But, what of the Glade Council and his commitment toward it?

Golradir couldn't sleep that night again... an answer needs to be reached for him to inform either his comrades from the White Tower or his comrades from the Glade Council... it's a burdensome decision! For whom would he show loyalty? to the Glade or to Boromir and his country?

End of Chapter 1

I'll work on Chapter 2 as soon as I have time again for an extended writing Smile Hope you liked the story so far.

Golradir Whitetower
Back to top Go down
Felogar
Elder of the Council
Felogar

PostSubject: Re: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) EmptySat Oct 25, 2008 9:48 am

Very enjoyable reading Golradir! Looking forward to the next chapter...
Back to top Go down
Falli
Ally of the Council
Falli

PostSubject: Re: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 2:56 am

's good writing, however I have a couple of issues with it, is if Gol was a warden of Minas Tirith (Grumbles at the very title, because his character is from Osgiliath, dont ask) then how was he also a comrade of the Glade Council at the same time. Just a little confused is all. But apart from my confusion its a good read, and currently better than my own story... but that isnt hard to do, anyway I hope you the best of luck actually writing this account of Gol being absent from the Glade Council.

~Falli~
Back to top Go down
Palantirr
Elder of the Council
Palantirr

PostSubject: Re: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 6:28 am

@Fallidir,

Excellent remark my friend... I don't know if you're familiar with the Wardens of the White Tower or not. One of Boromir's titles according to the lore was "High Warden of the White Tower", so since he was Captain of the Gondorian forces and High Warden, then one can assume that he commanded a group of "Wardens", or he wouldn't get the extra title "High". From this point I created Golradir's background as one of the Wardens of the White Tower. I didn't quite understand if you're referring to me or to yourself when you "grumbled" about being from Osgiliath... I'll assume you're speaking about yourself Smile

As with Golradir being both a Warden and at the same time a follower of the Glade, you must ask Felogar about this, for this was my background story when I joined TGC the first time. I'll summarise Golradir's background-story in points:
1. Golradir was (and still is) a Warden of the White Tower, chosen by Boromir to travel with him to the Council of Elrond in Imladris.
2. After the hard journey, Boromir and his companions arrive at a crossroad before the Misty Mountains, where Boromir bids his companions, including Golradir, farewell for him to travel alone to Imladris. (Of course, he takes Mikel with him Twisted Evil ).
3. Boromir's last order before heading toward the Misty Mountains was for his Wardens to spread in Eriador and defend its people from the spreading Shadow.
4. Golradir chooses the path to Bree and spends some time there fighting the rise of the undead in the nearby Barrow Downs, until he stumbles upon an Elven archer who saves him from a certain death... he later learns the Elf's name is Felogar.
5. Golradir meets with Felogar and some of his companions at Bree Town, where Felogar speaks to him about the call of the Glade and the Forest Lord. Golradir sees it a worthy cause and decides to fight under the banner of the Glade Council.

So, this is a summary of Golradir's story, which (as you can clearly see) makes it quite explainable for him to be a Warden of the White Tower and member of TGC.

If you have any questions to the background story, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll try to finish the next chapter as soon as possible.

Golradir Whitetower
Back to top Go down
Faewulf
Member of the Council
Faewulf

PostSubject: Re: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 6:35 am

Great job Gol, can't wait for the next chapter Smile
Back to top Go down
Falli
Ally of the Council
Falli

PostSubject: Re: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) EmptySun Oct 26, 2008 8:00 am

Aha the plot is revealed more so, and in truth my lore is well, poor at best given that I am only reading the books for the first time now (waits for someone to lob a hobbit at him) so thats explaining why I dont know all about this warden stuff *le shrug* and the whole Grumbling because he's from osgiliath refers to that he doesnt much like people from the white city... as it seems to him that in his entire fighting career it was just a usless lump of white rock, and it adds to the fact that he doesnt like Gondor on the whole... but i wont get into that. Anyway keep right on with the writing and I for one want to see what happens with this mysterious man with his sudden improvement in skill.

~Falli~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)   Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story) Empty

Back to top Go down

Golradir Whitetower's disappearance explained (story)
Page 1 of 1